Revolved seated side angle pose Parivrtta upavistha konasana
Revolved seated side angle pose is a seated forward bend with a twist. Revolved seated side angle pose provides an all over body stretch, including those hard to reach places such as the inner thighs and between the shoulder blades. The combined effect of the straddle and twist make this pose an effective hip opener and toner, suitable for all levels.
From a seated posture, open the legs wide apart. Stretch sideways towards the right leg. Bring the right elbow to the mat, to inside of the right leg and grab the toe with index and thumb. Lift the left arm up and over the head to clasp top of foot. Rotate chest upwards, eye gaze upwards. To exit the pose, release both toe holds and lower the left arm. Lift/press back to upright seated position. Repeat the other side.
Visualization CommentsPrior to stretching or twisting, lift trunk up and out of thighs. Draw thighs towards navel. Reach out through the feet.
Technical CommentsPush the backs of the knees to the floor and point the toes to straighten the legs. To prevent opposite hip from popping up when stretching, flex foot. Rotate the spine to twist. Turn eye gaze in same direction.
- Stretches hamstrings, inner thighs and hip joints
- Opens chest, shoulder and upper back
- Tones and massages abdomen and internal organs
- Strengthens and stretched upper back, oblique and flank muscles
Watch Out For:
- Hips and feet popping up (flex feet and press knees into mat)
- Neck strain (look sideways)
- Bent Knee (place blankets under knee/modify)
- Slipped disc
- Blankets and bolsters under knees
- Place forearm on floor to inside of leg/raise top arm up and over
- Raise both arms over head and fold forward, stretching along the floor between the legs
- Raise both arms over head and grab big toes of both feet to fold forward
- Reach arms behind the body/clasp hands/fold forward
Yoga Counter Poses
- Nose-to-knee (Janu sirasana)
- Fish pose (Matsyasana)
- Bridge pose (Setu banda sarvangasana)
- Wheel (Chakrasana)