Gate Pose Parighasana
Begin in a kneeling pose with the feet touching and front of the foot flat on the ground. Stretch the right leg to the side and extend the right arm along the leg. Raise the left arm over the head and side bend the torso to the right. Place the left palm over the right and spiral the chest upward, eye gaze under the arm pit. To exit the pose, lower the left arm, bring torso upright and return right knee to ground. Repeat the other side.
Visualization CommentsRelax the upper body and torso to bend and stretch sideways. The pose intend for students to make the shape of a latch or bar used to shut a gate. So you might ask students to visualise the mental image of a gate being shut. This pose is also similar to triangle and ½ moon which require to students bend sideways into a two-dimensional shape. Phrases such as imagine you are squeezed between two pieces of glass and or made of wood like a gate can be used.
Technical CommentsWhen stretching the right leg sideways, the hip, knee and foot should be in a line. To balance in gate pose, push the outer edge of the foot into the mat and point the toe in slightly. Raise the arms to shoulder height, then tips sideways to the right, lifting of the left core. The left arm should be in contact with the left ear, palm turned down and placed on top of the right hand, which is holding right shin or ankle.
- Lateral stretch to pelvic region and torso
- Massages abdominal muscles and internal organs
- Stimulates digestion
- Tones abdominals and strengthens legs
- Stretches side ling and improves respiratory lung function
- Relieves symptoms of asthma, allergies, colds,
- Improves spinal flexibility
Watch Out For:
- Knee pain (place blanket under knees)
- Knee injuries
- Back injuries
- Left (or right) hand stretches overhead, but is not placed on top of right(or left)
- Blanket is placed under knees
- Practice by a wall, overhead hand can be pressed against a wall
- Stretch to right (or left side) place hand flat on ground, raise extended leg
- Dynamic gate; stretch sideways, float upright, bend the other way to place hand on ground and raise leg
Yoga Counter Poses
- Camel (ustrasana)
- Child pose (balasana)
- Downward facing dog (adho mukha svanasana)