Extended Puppy Pose Uttana Shishosana
Start in Table Top with wrists directly under the shoulders and knees directly under the hips. Lower the arms so that the elbows rest on the mat. Extend the arms, walking the hands forward and lowering the chest toward the floor. Keep the knees directly under the hips and the hands shoulder width apart as the back slightly curves and the hips pivot as if reaching the sitz bones toward the ceiling. Rest the forehead on the floor. To exit the pose, gently lift the head and chest as the hands are walked back into Table Top.
Imagine the hips are being pulled upward as the arms are reaching forward.
The hips are angled up and back as the arms stretch forward. Arms remain shoulder width apart as the arms stretch, and the tops of the feet are flat on the mat. If there is discomfort in the shoulder area, slightly bend the elbows and widen the arm position.
- Offers the benefits of a slight backbend and an inversion
- Stretches the shoulders and spine
- Relieves stress
- Helps treat insomnia
Watch Out For:
- Strain in the shoulder area
- Knee Problems
- Shoulder Injuries
- Neck injuries
- Use a blanket or block under the forehead to lessen the backbend and ease shoulder stress.
- Place a blanket under the knees to lessen knee discomfort.
- Place a block between the knees to encourage lengthening of the spine.
- Place the chin on the floor to stretch the neck.
- Maintain a straight back while keeping the chest off the floor.
Yoga Counter Poses
- Child’s with arms folded under forehead.
Written By: Kristen Porter
Kristen is a Yoga Alliance registered yoga teacher, studio owner (www.ovcyoga.com), corporate attorney, wife and mom. Her passion is helping people realize their true strength and inner light by sharing wisdom learned through yoga, meditation and incorporating positive changes in her own life.